You will learn how to identify and differentiate the crucial steps for the development of a lightweight product, from the initial requirement list and the general solutions to the overall design and product documentation.
After successful completion of the basic level "Introductory Module" (IM) of the lightweight professional training courses, participants are able to:
- Identify and differentiate the different steps in the process to develop a product in order to critically assess the advantages and disadvantages of lightweight design for specific cases and different materials.
- Identify company key figures and components to develop products using lightweight approach (designers, buyers, quality personal…)
- Environmental impact of lightweight construction: socio-political background, governmental (European) strategies, ecobalance, need for recycling and circular economy, marketing issues
- Definition of Lightweight design and strategies, design process
- Construction guidelines in lightweight product development
- Materials knowledge related to properties and processes
- Health and safety issues
- Manufacturing specifics, cost-value ratio
- Supply chain: definition of criteria to identify reliable suppliers
- Planning and management
Fiber reinforced plastics
This module provides the participant an overview of the whole lifecycle of a fiber reinforced plastic product, emphasizes its peculiarities from the material selection to the recycling and repairing.
Aluminium light alloys
In this module, you will learn the excellent lightweight potential of Aluminium and its alloys, which can be exploited into industrial components thanks to high variety of processing solutions.
In this module, you will learn how a "conventional" material, such as Cast Iron, can become strategic for lightweight applications, thanks to innovative processes and treatments.
Polymers are among the most lightweight manufacturing materials currently available and, together with their applications, it makes them a powerful material for lightweight applications.
In this module, you will acquire knowledge of fundamental and technical issues related to steels, from their microstructure and phase transformation to their properties and lightweight applications.
Magnesium / Powder metals
The participants will be provided with the best properties, applications and challenges of magnesium, the ninth most abundant element in the universe, and of other metal powders.